when it comes to continuity test, many peoples don’t have multimeter available to test. Almost every thing need to be tested for continuity. It may sound crazy but people don’t find enough material on checking continuity without multimeter. This article will cover detail analysis of continuity test without multimeter.
Importance of Using a Continuity Test
Continuity test in conductor is very important to determine if the conductor is damaged or have any discontinuity. While performing continuity test we don’t need to disconnect it from circuit. Mostly the continuity test is used in troubleshooting and in wiring. The best thing about performing continuity test is, it will provide the information about circuit without removing it from circuit. This will reduce the work load and fault detection is easy.
How to test continuity without a multimeter?
There are many instrument available for checking continuity or electrical short circuit. But here we are discussing about checking continuity without multimeter.
Usually, these continuity testers are basic in nature, and they have small bulbs that glow when current flow through them. Also, these testers are cost effective and affordable as compared to multimeters and ohmmeter.
Different methods are used in testing continuity. We will discuss them one by one.
Non-contact voltage tester for continuity check
Non-Voltage tester is used to detect or test the presence of voltage in the conductor. In the presence of voltage probe will lights up. To check the continuity
- Take a conductor and connect it to power source.
- Use the voltage tester to check the voltage. If there is voltage throughout the conductor then voltage-tester probe lights up.
- This will indicate conductor is working normally.
Using Test Lamp
Test Lamp is used to check if the circuit or wire is working properly. Test Lamp can easily be made with holder and LED or bulb. Connect the one end with phase or hot wire while other will ground wire.
In the guide how to test continuity without a multimeter. Follow these steps to check continuity with test lamp
- Take test lamp and connect it with circuit.
- Turn on the power source.
- If the light glows then circuit is working properly.
Be careful while working on AC supply and its dangerous. Also, immediately turnoff the supply after test.
Using Continuity tester
Continuity tester is a simple device consist of inductor or coil and LED (light-emitting diode). When you move this circuit along the conductor due to mutual induction LED will glow. If the conductor is damaged or break then LED will stop glowing.
After reading this article “ how to check continuity without a multimeter?” you will be able to test continuity . We have tried to cover each aspect of the continuity test with multimeter alternatives and will look for more and try to add those in the next update. Have you find any thing intresting? Let us know in the comments section below.
FAQ’s: How to Test Continuity without a multimeter?
Do you want to know more about testing continuity without multimeter. Read these questions
How do I test continuity without a multimeter?
There are three method to test the continuity without a multimeter.
- Non-contact voltage tester for continuity check
- Using Test Lamp
- Using Continuity tester
What can be used to check continuity?
Multimeter is used to check the continuity. To test the continuity with multimeter follow these steps
- Rotate the Multimeter knob to continuity
- Insert the Red lead in mAVΩ and Black lead in COM port.
- Connect the both lead at both end of circuit or wire etc.
- If you heard beep sound then there is continuity in circuit.
Can you test continuity with a test light?
Yes we can test continuity with test light. Follow these steps to check continuity with test light.
- Take bulb holder and connect two wires with it.
- Now, Insert bulb in the holder.’
- Connect the wire with neutral and phase.
- If bulb glows, its mean your circuit is working properly.